Free mediation of activities / creation of patterns

german below

In the context of the reflections on Villach I was interested in how, for example, a farmer can mediate that there is something to do, but he does not have to search out a pattern from the database for it, but through his mediation either existing patterns are activated or new ones are created. I think this is a very common scenario: people say what there is to do, but they don’t want to struggle through data structures. What we can do is guide the process with optional questions.

As a pre-requisite, I assume that there is a categorized list of all possible activities. So something like, “metal work - milling - milling with a CNC router.”

So let’s say a person wants to convey that there is something to do - so this activity should be suggested to other people. How can we support this process while condensing our infrastructure?

1. query: "What is there to do? (mandatory).

Three scenarios are conceivable to me now:

(1) The person freely enters what there is to do and what they enter is given out the same way - However, the activity can be difficult to filter with this. For example, if someone likes to work in the field, the activity cannot be suggested accordingly because the software has no information about it.

(2) The person selects the activity from an ordered list. At the end of this list would probably be the specific activity pattern, but it is not given and should not be given that the list is penetrated to that point.

As an example for the farmer:

first step 			   second step 		    third step
I
I - metalwork
I - **agriculture** 	 --	I- animal care
I - care 					I- **harvest** -- 	I
							I- ...				I - Pumpkin harvest
												I - **carrot harvest**---

Even if the farmer only goes as far as the second step and then doesn’t feel like it, at least the activity is already categorized a bit. Even if he goes as far as carrot harvesting, we still don’t know exactly what the pattern is. But: involved people who like to work in the field can at least be notified.

(3) The person freely enters what there is to do, and automatically generated suggestions are made to them as to what the categories might be. A similar principle to what exists on ebay classifieds as well and really nothing different than #2, just perhaps a bit more elegant.

By categorizing the activity, the collection of all activity patterns is already strongly limited - but we are still far from a concrete pattern.

2. query: Why should this be done? (mandatory)

This query is also mandatory, since only activities that serve to satisfy the needs of participants are included. If it did not exist, activities in the commercial sector could also be entered and commoners would be unpaid labor.

I see two different possibilities here:

(1.) Connection to a concrete configuration. That is: the needs are selected which are satisfied by the activity or it is shown in which place the activity fits into (complex) processes of need satisfaction.

(2.) The result is common property or tends to common property. So maybe there are no mediated needs so far, but the result of the activity can subsequently be used for processes of commons. How that is specified is another question.

About possibility 1, information about the exact result of the activity could be obtained and thus it is again restricted what the activity pattern could be.

3. query: is anything else needed to perform the activity? (mandatory).

This question simply helps the person suggesting the activity and new activities can be suggested to meet this demand. Or - as it is always possible - participants bring something from home that is needed.

Another advantage is that every demand indicated is a demand for that activity, and the search for the specific activity pattern can be narrowed down further.

4. query: What is applied for execution? (optional).

On the one hand, of course, machines can be specified for whose application it requires certain qualifications. This could also be filtered for. On the other hand, however, it is explicitly a question here of determining the searched activity pattern in more detail. For the mediating person, the advantage of an activity pattern is, of course, that participants can read through/look at the description of how the activity works. But of course: searching for patterns takes time and is annoying and not everyone wants to do it.

In case answers given: “Would you provide some of this?” (optional)

Now it gets exciting, since the person has indicated what is used in the process and not needed - i.e. available to them - and we check 1. if this resource is already in their means library (then the question is omitted) and if not is offered 2. to add the means to the library and make it available to others just on self-selected terms. If a person actually just wants to provide an activity, he often will not feel like specifying the exact terms of use now. I therefore suggest a kind of queue in one’s own means library - for means that would like to be shared, but for which the conditions have not yet been specified.

5. query: how does the activity affect other means? (optional).

This is already very specific and it’s just a matter of 1. more precisely defining an emerging activity pattern or just 2. finding an existing activity pattern.

6. query: How long do you estimate the duration of the activity? (optional)

For potential participants, it would be good - but not essential - to know how long they estimate it will take. In the case of field work, of course, it could still be asked how many acres with how many people the estimate refers to.

This, too, can limit the search for the right activity pattern. Especially the estimation can specify a new or existing activity pattern - if it should be found in the end.

Theoretically, tens of questions with the same goal can be added here: Is it rather physical or mental work? Is it possible to have small-talks with other participants while performing the activity? etc. pp. All the information that can be stored as meta-data on activities.

7. query: Does one of these patterns describe the activity? (optional)

Now it becomes explicit: Using the previous questions, an attempt is made to limit the search for the specific activity pattern, and the patterns that now remain are displayed in order of probability. If the farmer finds the described activity in one of these patterns, he can select it and the pattern will be proposed exactly like that - together with all information/descriptions/etc. attached to it - to the participants. And if he needs people for the same activity again, the farmer can skip the process and select this pattern right away from his corresponding library. Great!

If none of the patterns match the activity he is describing, he can a) simply skip the step or b) create a new activity pattern with the information from the last steps. Optionally, of course, he can then create descriptions and specify the pattern in more detail, etc. - maybe he has the time. Otherwise, he can leave it just as simple and just propose this new, somewhat incomplete pattern again next time. And maybe someone else - a participant involved? - may at some point feel like defining the activity in more detail.

Arguably, for such emerging patterns, they need to be either private (like notes) or publicly shared if one feels they are complete enough oneself and a help to others. Such a private pattern of activity would probably be created at any time in the process described - no matter how roughly it was specified.

Freie Vermittlung von Tätigkeiten / Entstehung von Mustern

Im Rahmen der [Überlegungen zu Villach] hat mich interessiert, wie etwa ein Bauer vermitteln kann, dass es etwas zu tun gibt, er dafür nicht ein Muster aus der Datenbank heraussuchen muss, aber durch seine Vermittlung entweder bestehende Muster aktiviert oder neue geschaffen werden. Ich halte das für eine sehr häufiges Szenario: Personen sagen, was es zu tun gibt, wollen sich aber nicht durch Datenstrukturen kämpfen. Was wir machen können, ist den Prozess mit optionalen Fragen zu begleiten.

Als Vorbedingung gehe ich davon aus, dass eine kategorisierte Liste aller möglichen Tätigkeiten gibt. Also etwa: “Metallarbeiten - Fräsen - Fräsen mit einer CNC-Fräse”.

Angenommen also, eine Person will vermitteln, dass es etwas zu tun gibt - diese Tätigkeit soll also anderen Personen vorgeschlagen werden. Wie können wir diesen Prozess unterstützen und dabei unsere Infrastruktur verdichten?

1. Abfrage: "Was gibt es zu tun? (zwingend erforderlich)

Denkbar sind für mich jetzt drei Szenarien:

(1) Die Person gibt frei ein, was es zu tun gibt und was sie eingibt, wird genauso herausgegeben - Die Tätigkeit kann damit allerdings schwer gefiltert werden. Wenn z.B. jemand gerne auf dem Feld arbeitet, kann die Tätigkeit nicht entsprechend vorgeschlagen werden, da die Software keinerlei Informationen darüber hat.

(2) Die Person wählt aus einer geordneten Liste die Tätigkeit aus. Am Ende dieser Liste würde wohl das spezifische Tätigkeitsmuster stehen, aber es ist nicht gegeben und sollte nicht vorgegeben sein, dass die Liste bis dorthin durchdrungen wird.

Als Beispiel für den Bauern:

I	*erste Stufe*			*zweite Stufe*		*Dritte Stufe*
I
I - Metallarbeiten
- - **Landwirtschaft** --	I- Tierpflege
I - Pflege					I- **Ernte** --	I
							I- ...			I - Kürbisernte
											I - **Karottenernte**---

Wenn auch der Bauer nur bis zur zweiten Stufe geht und dann keine Lust mehr hat, ist die Tätigkeit wenigstens schon ein bisschen kategorisiert. Selbst wenn er bis zur Karottenernte geht, wissen wir immer noch nicht, um welches Muster es sich genau handelt. Aber: Beteiligte, die gerne am Feld arbeiten, können wenigstens benachrichtigt wer
den.

(3) Die Person gibt frei ein, was es zu tun gibt und es werden ihr automatisch erzeugte Vorschläge gemacht, um was für Kategorien es sich dabei handeln könnte. Ein ähnliches Prinzip, wie es bei ebay-Kleinanzeigen auch gibt und eigentlich nichts anderes als Nr.2, nur vielleicht etwas eleganter.

Durch die Kategorisierung der Tätigkeit wird die Sammlung aller Tätigkeitsmuster schon stark eingeschränkt - bei einem konkreten Muster sind wir aber noch lange nicht.

2. Abfrage: Warum soll das getan werden? (zwingend erforderlich)

Auch diese Abfrage ist zwingend erforderlich, da nur Tätigkeiten aufgenommen werden, die der Bedürfnisbefriedigung von Beteiligten dienen. Gäbe es sie nicht, könnten auch Tätigkeiten im kommerziellen Bereich eingegeben werden und Commoner wären unbezahlte Arbeitskräfte.

Ich sehe hier zwei verschiedene Möglichkeiten:

(1.) Anschluss an eine konkrete Konfiguration. Das heißt: Die Bedürfnisse werden ausgewählt, welche durch die Tätigkeit befriedigt werden bzw. wird gezeigt, in welcher Stelle sich die Tätigkeit in (komplexe) Prozesse der Bedürfnisbefriedigung eingliedert.

(2.) Das Resultat ist Gemeingut bzw. tendiert zum Gemeingut. Also vielleicht gibt es keine vermittelten Bedürfnisse bisher, aber das Resultat der Tätigkeit kann anschließend für Prozesse des Gemeinschaffens verwendet werden. Wie das spezifiziert wird, ist eine andere Frage.

Über Möglichkeit 1 könnten Informationen über das genaue Resultat der Tätigkeit gewonnen werden und somit wird wieder eingeschränkt, um welches Tätigkeitsmuster es sich handeln könnte

3. Abfrage: Wird zur Ausführung der Tätigkeit noch etwas benötigt? (zwingend erforderlich)

Diese Frage hilft einfach der vermittelnden Person und es können hierdurch neue Tätigkeiten vorgeschlagen werden, um diesen Bedarf zu decken. Oder - wie es immer möglich ist - bringen Beteiligte etwas von zuhause mit, das notwendig ist.

Ein weiterer Vorteil: Jeder angegebene Bedarf ist ein Bedarf dieser Tätigkeit und die Suche nach dem konkreten Tätigkeitsmuster lässt sich weiter einschränken.

4. Abfrage: Was wird zur Ausführung angewendet? (optional)

Einerseits können natürlich Maschinen angegeben werden, für deren Anwendung es bestimmte Qualifikationen benötigt. Auch danach könnte schließlich gefiltert werden. Anderseits aber geht es hier explizit darum, das gesuchte Tätigkeitsmuster näher zu bestimmen. Für die vermittelnde Person ist natürlich der Vorteil eines Tätigkeitsmusters, dass Beteiligte etwa die Beschreibung durchlesen/anschauen können, wie die Tätigkeit funktioniert. Aber natürlich: Die Mustersuche kostet Zeit und nervt und nicht jede:r will das machen.

Falls Antworten gegeben: “Würdest du davon etwas zur Verfügung stellen?” (optional)

Jetzt wird es spannend, da die Person angegeben hat, was dabei verwendet wird und nicht benötigt - also für sie verfügbar ist - und wir überprüfen 1. ob sich dieses Mittel schon in ihrer Mittel-Bibliothek befindet (dann entfällt die Frage) und wenn nicht wird 2. angeboten, das Mittel in die Bibliothek aufzunehmen und anderen eben zu selbstgewählten Bedingungen zur Verfügung zu stellen. Wenn eine Person eigentlich gerade eine Tätigkeit vermitteln möchte, wird sie oft keine Lust haben, jetzt die genauen Nutzungsbedingungen zu spezifizieren. Ich schlage daher eine Art Warteschlange in der eigenen Mittel-Bibliothek vor - für Mittel, die gerne geteilt werden würden, aber bei denen die Bedingungen noch nicht festgelegt wurden.

5. Abfrage: Wie wirkt sich die Tätigkeit auf andere Mittel aus? (optional)

Das ist schon mega spezifisch und es geht nur noch darum, 1. ein neu entstehendes Tätigkeitsmuster genauer zu bestimmen oder eben 2. ein vorhandes Tätigkeitsmuster zu finden.

6. Abfrage: Wie lange schätzt du die Dauer der Tätigkeit ein? (optional)

Für mögliche Beteiligte wäre es gut - aber nicht unbedingt notwendig - zu wissen, wie lange sie schätzungsweise brauchen werden. Bei Feldarbeit könnte natürlich noch gefragt werden, auf wie viel Hektar bei wie vielen Personen sich die Einschätzung bezieht.

Auch das kann die Suche nach dem richtigen Tätigkeitsmuster einschränken. Besonders aber auch kann durch die Einschätzung ein neu entstehendes oder bestehendes Tätigkeitsmuster - wenn es denn am Ende gefunden werden sollte - näher spezifiziert werden.

Theoretisch können hier noch zig Fragen mit demselben Ziel angehängt werden: Ist es eher körperliche oder geistige Arbeit? Kann sich dabei mit anderen Beteiligten unterhalten werden? etc. pp. Alles an Informationen, die eben als Meta-Daten auf Tätigkeiten liegen können.

7. Abfrage: Beschreibt eines dieser Muster die Tätigkeit? (optional)

Jetzt wird es explizit: Über die vorhergehenden Fragen wird versucht die Suche nach dem konkreten Tätigkeitsmuster einzuschränken und die jetzt noch verbleibenden Muster werden ihrer Wahrscheinlichkeit nach geordnet angezeigt. Findet der Bauer die beschriebene Tätigkeit in einer dieser Muster wieder, kann er es auswählen und das Muster wird genau so - samt sämtlichen daran hängenden Informationen/Beschreibungen/etc. - den Beteiligten vorgeschlagen. Und braucht er nochmal Leute für dieselbe Tätigkeit, kann der Bauer den Prozess überspringen und dieses Muster gleich aus seiner entsprechenden Bibliothek auswählen. Großartig!